Merklees in the Civil War: George W. Merklee

George W. Merklee was the second child of John and Elizabeth (Burnett) Merklee of New York City. His first wife, Elida Wilson, bore him two children, William and Mary. Stories from Elida's side of the family say that George died young, but it seems likely that he either divorced her or deserted his family: George married his second wife, Fornsha T. Caswell, in Walworth, WI, on 29 February 1868; appears in the 1880 U.S. census living alone in Carson City, NV; and sent correspondence from Napa City, CA, concerning his mother's will in 1889. He died on 28 February 1890 in Napa, and is buried in Tulocay Cemetery there.

Service Record:
Enlisted as a Private on 28 August 1862 in Brooklyn, NY at the age of 29. Mustered into Company G, NY 133rd Infantry Regiment on 24 September 1862. Mustered out on 6 June 1865 in Washington, DC.

Source: New York: Report of the Adjutant-General. (NYRoster) Published in 1894-1906.

Regimental History
Name of Regiment: New York 133rd Infantry Regiment
Date of Organization: 24 September 1862
Muster Date: 6 June 1865
Regiment Type: Infantry
Officers Killed or Mortally Wounded: 2
Officers Died of Disease or Accident: 1
Enlisted Killed or Mortally Wounded: 41
Enlisted Died of Disease or Accident: 78

(Three Years)
Cols. - Leonard D. H. Currie
Lieut.-Cols. - James A. P. Hopkins, Anthony J. Allaire;
Majs. - Abraham S. Relay, John H. Allcott, Anthony J. Allaire, George Washburn.

The 133d, the 2nd "Metropolitan Guard," was recruited principally in New York city under the auspices of the Metropolitan police of New York and was organized on Staten island, where it was mustered into the U. S. service for three years on Sept. 24, 1862.
It left for Washington on Oct. 8, 1862, and a few weeks later sailed for New Orleans as a part of Banks' expedition. It was assigned to the 2nd brigade, 3d (Emory's) division, 19th corps, and was first under fire at Fort Bisland in April, 1863, when it sustained a loss of 25 killed and wounded.

It was engaged without loss at Opelousas and Alexandria; took an honorable and conspicuous part in the siege of Port Hudson, in which it suffered a total loss of 23 killed, 90 wounded and 2 missing, its chief losses occurring in the assaults of May 27 and June 14. After the surrender of Port Hudson, the ensuing 9 months were chiefly spent in post and garrison duty, and in some reconnaissances and expeditions into the enemy's country.

It fought at Vermillion and Carrion Crow bayous in Oct., 1863, after which it served in the defenses of New Orleans until March 15, 1864, when it joined the 1st brigade, 2nd (Grover's) division, 19th corps, and started on Banks' Red River campaign, enduring much fatigue and hardship, but sustaining no further losses in battle. It rendered efficient service in building the dam on Red river, which enabled the fleet of ironclads to pass the rapids in May.

In July, 1864, it embarked at New Orleans for Washington with the1st and 2nd divisions of the corps, and participated without loss in the actions at Fort Stevens and Snicker's ferry, Va. It was attached to the 3d brigade, 1st division, Army of the Shenandoah early in the spring of 1865, and after April served in the defenses of Washington, where it was mustered out on June 6, under command of Col. Currie.

The regiment lost during service, 2 officers and 43 men killed and mortally wounded; 1 officer and 78 men died of disease and other causes; total deaths, 3 officers and 121 men.

Source: The Union Army, Vol. 2, p. 146
Second Metropolitan Guard.
(Three Years)

Colonel Leonard D. H. Currie received authority to raise this regiment as one of the Metropolitan Brigade; it was organized on Staten Island and there mustered in the service of the United States for three years September 24, 1862. May 31,1865, the men not to be mustered out with the regiment were transferred to the 90th Infantry.

The companies were recruited under the auspices of the metropolitan police of New York city, principally: A, C, D and E in New York city; B, F, H and K in New York city and Brooklyn, and G and I in Brooklyn.

The regiment left the State October 8, 1862; it served at and near Washington from October, 1862; at New Orleans and Baton Rouge, La., from December, 1862; in 2d Brigade, 3d Division, Department of the Gulf, from January, 1863; in 2d Brigade, 3d Division, 19th Corps, from March, 1863; in the defenses of New Orleans, from October, 1863; in the 3d Brigade, 3d Division, 19th Corps, from February, 1864; in the 1st Brigade, 2d Division, 19th Corps, from April, 1864; in the 3d Brigade, 1st Division, 19th Corps, from June, 1864; in the 3d Brigade, 1st Division, Army of Shenandoah, from March, 1865; in the defenses of Washington, from April, 1865, and, under Colonel Currie, it was honorably discharged and mustered out, June 6, 1865, at Washington, D. C.

Source: Phisterer, p. 3,554
Battles during George Merklee's time of service:
Fought on 13 April 1863 at Fort Bisland, LA.
Fought on 15 May 1863 at Port Hudson, LA.
Fought on 25 May 1863 at Port Hudson, LA.
Fought on 26 May 1863 at Port Hudson, LA.
Fought on 27 May 1863 at Port Hudson, LA.
Fought on 30 May 1863 at Port Hudson, LA.
Fought on 14 June 1863 at Port Hudson, LA.
Fought on 16 July 1864.
Fought on 20 July 1864 at Danville, VA.
Fought on 19 October 1864 at Cedar Creek, VA.

George W. Merklee's headstone at Tulocay Cemetery, Napa, CA.